Nanooks shredded by RedHawk brood

Erin McGroarty/ Sun Star Reporter
Nov. 8, 2011

During the second of two games played against the Miami University RedHawks Saturday Nov. 5, 2011, UAF junior Nik Yaremchuk (foreground) and MU freshman Austin Czarnik (background) both race for possesion of the puck. Erin McGroarty/Sun Star

The Alaska Nanook Men’s Hockey team suffered back-to-back defeats against the Miami, Ohio RedHawks Nov. 4 and 5. The weekend games were at 7 p.m. at the Carlson Center.

The first ten minutes of Friday’s game went without scores for either team, until Miami’s Alden Hirschfeld scored a point with the assist of teammates Bryon Paulazzo and Tyler Biggs. The RedHawks were able to hold off the Nanooks for nearly another 20 minutes. Alaska’s Colton Beck scored on Miami’s goal keeper, Cody Reichard, 9 minutes and 33 seconds into the second period.

The defense remained strong for both teams throughout the rest of the second period and nearly half way through the third and final period. RedHawk’s Reilly Smith scored on Alaska’s Scott Greenham, assisted by teammates Curtis McKensie and Austin Czarnik. 

The RedHawks scored two goals and the Nanooks scored one goal. Miami’s Cody Reichard let in one out of 14 shots, and Alaska’s Scott Greenham let in two out of 30 shots on goal during the three periods.  In the end, the Miami University RedHawks defeated the Alaska Nanooks 2-1.

Neither team scored during the first 20 minutes of Saturday’s game. However, 6 minutes and 25 seconds into the second period, the RedHawks’ Curtis McKensie scored on Alaska’s Scott Greenham with the assist of teammates Steven Spinell and Tyler Biggs.

The Alaska Nanooks held off any further scoring for the rest of the second period. Nanook Nik Yaremchuk scored a point in the last seven seconds of the second period, assisted by fellow Nanooks Scott Enders and Carlo Finucci. The first two periods had seven penalties between the two teams.  Within the first 15 minutes of the game, Miami’s Austin Czarnik was disqualified from the game for ten minutes due to checking from behind. Four minutes later, Alaska’s Andy Taranto was also disqualified from the game for ten minutes.

Eight minutes after Alaska’s Yaremchuk tied the game, Miami’s Max Cook scored what would be the winning goal, assisted by fellow RedHawks Jimmy Mullin and Patrick Tiesling.

During the second of two games played against the Miami University RedHawks, Nanook and RedHawk players wait for the puck to drop. Nov. 5, 2011. Erin McGroarty/Sun Star

After tying Ohio State 2-2 the past weekend, and then losing 2-1 in the shootout, this weekend held two difficult defeats for the Alaska Nanooks.

“While there was a solid effort throughout the game, tonight was just one of those games where we just weren’t making the water boil,” Coach Dallas Ferguson said during the post-game press conference Saturday night after the game.

“This game doesn’t sit too well with us as you can imagine, but I think it’s important to continue to move forward and prepare for games in the future,” Ferguson said.

The Alaska Nanooks will hit the road this week, traveling to play Notre Dame in South Bend, Ind. on the weekend of Nov. 11 and 12.

You may also like...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *