Nanooks get bucked by Michigan Broncos

Erin McGroarty/ Sun Star Reporter
Oct. 25, 2011

The Alaska Nanooks showed resilience and spirit this weekend in both hockey games against the Western Michigan Broncos. However, that was not enough to bring them a victory in either game. Western Michigan has been a constant rival of the Alaska Nanooks, and played hard against the Nanooks in the two-game match.

“I think we came into tonight’s game hoping to respond hard to last night’s loss, and even though we tied, the players played a hard game and made a good effort,” Coach Dallas Fergeson said in the post-game press conference on Oct. 22. “I’m proud of how we played out there both tonight and last night.”

The Alaska Nanooks lept to an early lead, scoring a goal within the first twelve and half minutes of the game Friday night. That goal by Jarret Granberg was  followed by three goals from Western Michigan University within the second period. While Nanook offense made a hard effort to take back the game, West Michigan University goalie Nick Pisellini guarded the goal well, not letting any of the Nanooks’ many attempted shots into the net. In the end, the Nanooks held their chins up in hopes that they would make a comeback in the next night’s game, taking inspiration from goalie Scott Greenham’s 30 saves.

The next night started fast-paced and stayed that way throughout the game. The Nanooks started the game with some rough plays, landing both Nanook and Western Michigan players in the penalty box within the first two minutes of the game. Ben Warda of Western Michigan University was seriously injured, and teammates helped him off the ice with four minutes and thirty seconds left in the first period. At the end of the first 20 minute period, the Western Michigan University Broncos had one point, and the Alaska Nanooks had zero.

Saturday’s game continued with UAF attempting many goals but not succeeding. Western Michigan continued their streak by scoring another goal in the second period. The third period started with a score of two to zero in favor of the Broncos. Two minutes into the  third period, the Alaska Nanooks made a comeback, with a goal scored by Nick Yaremchuk. The crowd erupted in cheers. The Nanooks kept on the offense for the majority of the third period. In the last 2 minutes of the period Andy Taranto scored the second goal for UAF, tying the game 2-2. A shootout followed five minutes of overtime with no scores from either team. The game ended 2-2, with WMU scoring 2 goals during the shootout, and UAF scoring 1.

The Alaska Nanooks will be on the road next week, traveling to compete against Ohio State University in Columbus, Ohio on Thursday, Oct. 27, and Friday, Oct. 28.

You may also like...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *