Police Blotter: March 7 – 13, 2011

This report is based on the information published by the University Police Department. Individuals arrested and/or charged with crimes in this report are presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.

Amber Sandlin / Sun Star Reporter
March 22, 2011

Police academy hijinks

On Monday, March 7, a UAF employee witnessed a police academy car hit another car then drive off. The 28-year-old academy student was witnessed on camera outside MBS leaving the scene of an accident without providing information and driving under a revoked license. The suspect, driving a police academy car, was not difficult to track down. The police academy is a 13-week program that has very high standards, one of them being, “Must possess a valid Alaska Driver’s License.”

Hot sheets

In front of Skarland Hall on Thursday, March 10, an officer noticed a 2002 Chevy Tahoe matching the plates and description of a stolen vehicle reported by the Fairbanks Police Department. The SUV’s owner was located and their vehicle returned. Every day the UAF Police print off papers called “hot sheets” that give a plate number and description of known stolen vehicles.

Not in my Cache you don’t

A 20-year-old man stole a Pepsi from the Campus Cache on Thursday, March 10. When an employee confronted the man, he claimed to have bought it in the vending machines. Police were called and when the officer arrived, he observed the surveillance tapes. The alleged thief stuck to his story even though vending machines in MBS are Coca-Cola products. The officer made him pay for the drink and apologize to the workers. The man was banned from the Cache for one year.

Many minors

An officer pulled a car over for swerving on Saturday, March 12 and found a 15-year-old girl driving the car drunk, on her permit, with three passengers. One passenger, a 24-year-old man with an outstanding warrant, gave the officer a false name, fled and was captured. Another passenger, a 14-year-old boy, had marijuana and claimed to have given the passengers alcohol. The minors were released to their guardians, and the man was arrested.

Shower time

The Wood Center was closing for the evening on Sunday, March 13, when Wood Center employees discovered a man and his visiting girlfriend in the showers. The couple refused to leave when asked, so employees contacted UAF Police. When the officer arrived, the man was hostile but agreed to leave. Both the man and woman have been banned from UAF.

You may also like...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *