Police Blotter: March 25 – 30, 2013

This report is based on the information published by the University Police Department. Individuals arrested and/or charged with crimes in this report are presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.

Fernanda Chamorro/Sun Star Reporter
April 5, 2013

Sexual assault charge

March 25– A woman reported that 20-year-old Sean Swammy from Eielson Air Force Base sexually assaulted her in her Moore Hall dorm room. The woman showed university police a text message in which Swammy said, “I don’t take no for an answer.” In an interview with police, Swammy said the victim said “no” or “stop” three to five times and also pushed his hands away three to five times, according to the Fairbanks Daily News-Miner. Swammy was transported to the Fairbanks Correctional Center and charged with Sexual Assault in the Second Degree. Additional charges have been submitted to the District Attorney’s office and they are pending. Further investigation is needed to see if more victims were involved. Swammy had been trespassed for a prior incident from all UAF property except academic buildings where he took classes. Swammy was permitted to arrive and stay on campus 30 minutes before and after class. Swammy is now trespassed from all UAF property.

I hear voices

March 29– A UAF staff member called police to report hearing loud voices on the third floor of Constitution Hall. Officers showed up and found a 22-year-old woman and a 21-year-old man arguing. Police broke up the argument and spoke to the individuals in separate rooms. Officers provided domestic violence paperwork to the man and woman. The woman had no contact orders, meaning they could not be near each other, and existing conditions of release due to a prior incident with the same individual. Police called the Assistant District Attorney’s office and found that the orders had been modified from no contact to contact, but there had been a timing issue of notification between the court and UAFPD. Police reviewed the orders to them.

Scream 2

March 29– A female neighbor called police to report screaming coming from a Hess Village apartment. An officer arrived at the scene of an argument. A 20-year-old woman voluntarily decided to leave for the night to end the confrontation, leaving a child behind with the 22-year-old man. The man was unwilling to watch over the child for a long period of time. Police contacted the Office of Child Services to resolve the problem.

Reckless driving

March 29– An individual called to report someone driving recklessly on campus in a dark-colored Jeep with other people in the vehicle as if they were intoxicated. The caller did not want to press charges, but was concerned for their safety. Police spotted the vehicle on Yukon Drive with two people, a 19-year-old and a 20-year-old. They were given a warning to drive safer.

Procrastination is always bad

March 30– Three weeks ago, a minor vehicle accident occurred in the Hess Village Parking Lot when a 20-year-old man backed up into a 32-year-old male visitor’s vehicle. The drivers agreed to handle the situation after exchanging information, but one of the drivers did not turn in his paperwork. State participation forms are supposed to be turned in 10 days after an accident and the insurance companies were supposed to be contacted. The visitor reported to police that the other man had not followed up. An officer contacted the other person and more information was exchanged. Police are now aware of the incident and the state may take further action if the 20-year-old man does not follow through.

You may also like...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *